On a corner near the heart of Sandusky, Ohio, a town founded in 1817, sits the old post office. Located on Jackson Street, this imposing Neoclassical structure served as the third post office for the town. The first post office in the town was built in 1820 on Water Street.
While traveling to get mail from the post office was common during the early years, on December 1, 1882, Sandusky began offering free mail delivery. As the needs of the town grew so did the need of a larger post office, which was why the new one was built on the corner of West Washington and Jackson Street between 1925 and 1927. This one took the place of a smaller post office that had been located at Columbus Avenue and Market Street.
Located at the highest point above sea level in Sandusky, this building served as the main post office for 60 years. Besides the post office, the building also housed the National Weather Service, U.S. Customs, FBI and armed forces recruiting.
This location also became too small, and the post office was once again moved to a new space (2220 Caldwell Street) in 1986. Now, the old post office is home to the Merry-Go-Round Museum, which has occupied the space since 1990.
Historical Marker Inscription
The U.S. Post Office building, Sandusky’s third, opened in 1927, replacing the smaller building at Columbus Avenue and Market Street. It is notable for its fine Neoclassical-style architecture and its unusual curved portico. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1982. For sixty years it served as Sandusky’s business center, where merchants shipped and received goods and banks transferred money. During this time it also housed offices for several federal agencies, including U.S. Customs, the National Weather Service, armed forces recruiting, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The U.S. Geological Survey disk embedded in the front steps serves as a benchmark for surveyors and scientists. Closed in 1987, the historic Sandusky Post Office building reopened as a museum in 1990.
The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company
Huron City Schools
The Merry Go Round Museum
The Ohio Historical Society
301 Jackson St, Sandusky, OH 44870
41.4539° N, 82.7129° W