The Tullis-Toledano Manor was once listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. It was built around 1856 and was a red-clay brick Greek Revival home. The property also went by the name Toledano-Philbrick-Tullis House.
The property was built by Christoval Sebastian Toledano, who was a wealthy sugar and cotton broker in New Orleans of Spanish descent. The house was built as a vacation property for his second wife, Matilda Pradat. The property also included a servant’s quarter.
Matilda Toledano sold the home in 1886. It was sold a number of times before Garner H. Tullis of New Orleans bought it in 1939. Tullis was president of the New Orleans Cotton Exchange. He later sold the manor to the City of Biloxi in 1975 who used it as a museum and community center.
In 1969, the home had been damaged by Hurricane Camille. It was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005 when a barge was pushed ashore and reduced the property to rubble.
Historical Marker Inscription
One of the most substantial of the early vacation houses on the Gulf Coast, the Tullis-Toledano House was built in 1856 for New Orleans native Christoval Sebastian Toledano (1789-1869) and his wife, Matilda Pradat Toledano. The estate, composed of a Creole-influenced Greek Revival house, detached kitchen, servants quarters, and carriage house, was purchased by the Tullis family in 1939. Damaged during Hurricane Camille and later restored, the house was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History, 2013
30° 23′ 33.780″ N, 88° 52′ 10.002″ W
Beach Boulevard, Biloxi, MS 39530 United States