Boré Plantation – Audubon Park, New Orleans, LA

Bore Plantation - Audubon Park Historical Marker, New Orleans, LA

Audubon Park was the location of the Boré Plantation owned by Étienne de Boré, which started as an indigo plantation, but later converted into sugar cane. The process was assisted by chemist Antoine Morin, who was a free man of color originally from Saint-Domingue. Morin created a process that made sugar granulation possible in 1795.

This process not only assisted the financially struggling Boré, but the entire southern Louisiana region’s sugar industry. Many plantation owners became wealthy, and the domestic slave trade expanded due to the sugar industry and its need for more workers.

Boré was later selected to head the City Government and became the first Mayor of New Orleans, serving from 1803 to 184. He resigned on May 26, 1804. He died on February 1, 1820, and is buried in St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 in New Orleans.

Historical Marker Inscription

This site 1781-1820 plantation of Jean Etienne Boré (1741-1820) First Mayor of N.O. 1803-1804. Here Boré first granulated sugar in 1795. Purchased for park in 1871. Site of World’s Industrial & Cotton Centennial Exposition 1884-1885.


Audubon Zoo, 6500 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70118, United States

29° 55′ 22.158″ N, 90° 7′ 53.650″ W

The Opelousas Post Militia of 1779, Opelousas, Louisiana

The Opelousas Post Militia of 1779 Historical Marker

This marker recognizes the contribution of the volunteer Opelousas citizen militia. During 1779, the militia took action in Baton Rouge against the British. The Opelousas militia marched across swamps and marshes to eventually join the Spanish Governor, General Bernardo de Galvez. The goal was to defend Baton Rouge and to keep the British from controlling the lower Mississippi River, especially the area between Natchez and New Orleans.

The militia left Fort Hamilton in the east of Opelousas in groups, heading towards Baton Rouge. They had to content with everything from snakes to alligators to the marshy areas.

Many of the last names of the members would be familiar with anyone from Louisiana, especially St. Landry Parish. These include Bertrand, Brignac, Dupre, Lafleur, Prudhomme, Richard, Trahan and more.

Historical Marker Inscription

In late August of 1779, men of the Opelousas Post Militia left from this place to join other militia units to attack British forces in the lower Mississippi Valley. They crossed the Atchafalaya swamp to join Brig. General Bernardo de Gálvez, the Governor of the Spanish province of Louisiana. The O.P.M. met him at Fort San Gabriel a few miles below present-day Baton Rouge. Total forces under Gálvez numbered 175 Spanish army veterans, 330 Spanish recruits, 80 free men of color, 160 Choctaws, plus about 600 men from various militias along the Mississippi River and from throughout the far-flung posts of civilization in Louisiana. On September 22, 1779, Gálvez’s effective forces, numbering less than 900, laid siege to and captured Ft. New Richmond at Baton Rouge. This victory forced the surrender of Ft. Panmure at Natchez, British headquarters in the lower Mississippi Valley. This generally unknown military action in American history in which the Opelousas Post Militia took part greatly aided in the winning of the American Revolution of 1775-1783.


Le Vieux Village, 828 East Landry Highway, Opelousas LA 70570, United States

30° 31.906′ N, 92° 4.432′ W

Our Lady of Prompt Succor Cemetery No. 1

Our Lady of Prompt Succor Cemetery No. 1 Historical Marker

St. Joseph Parish in Westwego, located on the West Bank of New Orleans, was established in 1857. It was the main church for Jefferson Parish on this side of the river. The parish grew a few years later due to the dramatic growth of the population of Westwego after the hurricane of 1893. Before land was acquired, mass was often celebrated in residents’ homes.

On February 23, 1905, land was donated by 12 men known as “The 12 Apostles” to the St. Joseph Church in Gretna. The lot was located on Laroussini Street and was 100 feet by 320 feet.

On June 7, 1906, a new chapel known as the Church of Our Lady Prompt Succor was dedicated on the north side of the site. A cemetery was added to the south side of the lot and became known as Cemetery No. 1.

Historical Marker Inscription

The land for this cemetery was part of a parcel sold in 1902 by Alphonse A. Lelong to a group called “The 12 Apostles” of Catholic Life Westwego. They were Hypolite Eloi, Victorin A. Pitre, Ernest Lefort, Andre Curol, Leo Decuers, Adrien Ortiz, Adrien Curol, Victor Arnaudin, J. Dupre Terrebonne, Felicien Sandras, Leodgard Pitre, and Edouward PItre. They donated the land to St. Joseph’s Parish in Gretna for the first chapel and cemetery in Our Lady of Prompt Succor Parish, Westwego. Their heirs donated it to OLPS in 1932.


Our Lady of Prompt Succor & Holy Guardian Angels Catholic Church, 146 Fourth Street, Westwego, LA, 70094

29.909547579819836, -90.14553436006213

Shady Grove School/Community Building, DeRidder, LA

Shady Grove School/Community Building Historical Marker

The Shady Grove School was completed in 1953 on six acres of land, which had been donated by Roland and Ida Pompey. The school was created to centralize the education of African American children in the Vernon, Louisiana, and the surrounding communities. The school hosted children in grades first through eighth.

The elementary school was active until 1969 when sections were moved to the newly established Vernon Elementary School. Afterwards, the site was given to the City of Vernon, and it is now a public park named Shady Grove Park.

Shady Grove School/Community Building (2)

Historical Marker Inscription

Built 1919 – used as a school until 1928. Bought by community families to be used for cultural and social activities. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places December 2002.


Intersection of State Highway 26 and Don Gray Road, DeRidder, Louisiana

30° 48.254′ N, 93° 10.494′ W.

City of Eunice, LA, Historical Marker

City of Eunice, Louisiana, Historical Marker

The City of Eunice, Louisiana, is located in St. Landry Parish, and it is considered to be a part of the Lafayette Metropolitan area. The city was founded by C.C. Duson, who named the area after his second wife. Duson had previously founded Crowley, LA, as well.

As part of his founding the area, he added 160 acres to the town, and Duson was also responsible for linking Eunice to the Southern Pacific Railroad. The village was officially chartered on September 12, 1894, and it was later reincorporated on June 4, 1895.

Eunice is considered the “prairie” Cajun capital of Louisiana.

Historical Marker Inscription

On this site C.C. Duson drove a stake and said: “On this spot I will build a town and name it for my wife, Eunice.” An auction of lots was held here to start the town, Sept. 12, 1894. Depot listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Located near 220 S CC Duson St, Eunice, LA 70535

30° 29.589′ N, 92° 24.906′ W

Harvey Castle, Harvey, Louisiana

Harvey Castle Historical Marker, Harvey, LA

During the 1800s, the “castle look” was a popular architectural style in New Orleans. These Gothic references to the Old World were found in Carollton, Harvey, Algiers, Gretna and the Third District. The Harvey Castle was one of the most recognizable versions of this style.

Built on the Destrehan Canal in 1846, it was the home of Louise Destrehan and Captain Joseph Hale Harvey. The Destrehan Canal was owned by Nicholas Noel Destrehan.

According to historical references by a descendant, the castle was “medieval, two turreted baronial castle patterned from a faded old picture of grandfather’s and great uncle’s home in Scotland”.

Later, the Destrehan Canal became the Harvey Canal. The castle was then converted into the Jefferson Parish Courthouse (from 1874 to 1884). In 1920, it was demolished to expand the Harvey Canal when it became part of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway.

Historical Marker Inscription

Built in 1844, Harvey Castle was the Gothic Revival home of Marie Louise Destrehan and her husband Joseph Hale Harvey. It served as the third courthouse of Jefferson Parish, 1874-1884. Located east side of Destrehan Avenue 450 feet north of railroad. Demolished in 1924 to enlarge Harvey Canal and Locks.


3000 4th Street, Harvey LA 70058

29° 54.458′ N, 90° 5.033′ W

Carrollton Neighborhood Historical Marker, New Orleans

Carrollton Neighborhood Historical Marker, New Orleans

The Carrollton Historic District is approximately two and a half square miles with buildings that date from around 1880 to 1937. The town of Carrollton began on the site of the former Macarty sugar plantation, which was originally located in Jefferson Parish. The property had been acquired by Laurent Millaudon, Samuel Kohn and John Slidell, real estate investors, as well as the New Orleans Canal and Banking Company. The land was subdivided in 1833, and the town of Carrollton was born.

The town was connected to New Orleans via the New Orleans and Carrollton Railroad, which would take passengers between the two areas two hours a day, seven days a week. Later in 1851, the Jefferson and Lake Ponchartrain Railroad was started. The ease of transportation created a real estate boom. The number of houses in the town went from 36 in 1841 to 1,470 within 10 years. People in the middle and upper classes lived in the area.

Incorporated on March 10, 1845, the town of Carrollton eventually became a city on March 17, 1859. It was even the parish seat from 1852 to 1874. It was finally annexed by City of New Orleans in 1874.

Historical Marker Inscription

In 1833, real estate investors commissioned surveyor Charles F. Zimpel to lay out the former Macarty sugar plantation into lots, squares, and streets that formed the village of Carrollton. Reportedly named in honor of General William Carroll, whose troops camped in the vicinity during the War of 1812, Carrollton owed its initial growth to two railway lines that converged in the community, stimulating its development as a “bedroom suburb” for New Orleans. Originally part of Jefferson Parish, Carrollton was incorporated as a town in 1845 and as a city in 1859. It was annexed to the City of New Orleans in 1874. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, the Carrollton Historic District is significant for its wealth of residential buildings, such as shotgun houses and raised bungalows, that date from the early 1840s through the 1930s.


Intersection of South Claiborne Avenue and South Carrollton Avenue

29° 57.362′ N, 90° 7.245′ W

Louisiana: Site of Battle of Jackson Crossroads

If you’re driving into Jackson, Louisiana, you might miss this historical marker. It sits near a light and is nearly tumbling over. But this hidden marker (green with a white picket fence background) marks the spot of a battle of the Civil War. In fact, Civil War reenactors regularly re-enact this battle on a field off Highway 68 near the original battle location.

The Historical Facts

Jackson was actually the location of two Civil War battles during 1863. The Union was trying to siege Port Hudson. This 48-day siege took place from May to July of 1863 when the Union was trying to recapture the Mississippi River so the Confederacy wouldn’t be able to use the river to transport supplies. While the siege failed, the river was eventually taken by the Union after Vicksburg fell.

Benjamin Henry Grierson, whose cavalry took part in the Battle of Jackson Crossroads, was known for the “Grierson’s Raid”, which was an expedition through Confederate holdings that successfully severed enemy communication lines between Vicksburg, Mississippi, and leaders in the East.

Historical Marker Text

“At noon, June 20, 1863, at the crossroads, a long Union wagon train, escorted by 300 cavalry and 500 infantry, from the 52nd. Mass. Vols., the 2nd. Rhode Island, and Grierson’s 7th. Ill. cavalry, was ambushed by a Confederate battalion of La. and Miss. cavalry, the 11th. and 17th. Ark., the 2nd. Ark. cavalry, and Miss. Seven Star Artillery, who captured 50 of the 154 wagons. Casualties were light on both sides.”

Location: 30.8374° N, 91.2176° W

Jackson, LA 70748 East Feliciana Parish. It is located at the intersection of Charter Street (State Highway 10 and Carrs Creek Road (State Highway 68) at the stoplight.

Kenner High School

Behind a fence lies a ruin of a building that was once a high school and then a junior high school that existed for over 70 years. Gutted by a fire, this amazing building still holds court – as it once did for the Krewe of Kenner – on River Road. While you can’t get too close to the property, you can gaze through the fence at this amazing skeleton of a building.

The last senior to graduate from the school was in 1955, and it was a junior high school until it shut its doors in 1996.

There have been numerous plans to do something with this building, but as of this writing, it still sits as is. It’s been listed as one of New Orleans most endangered historic sites.

Kenner HS 3


Designed by William T. Nolan, Kenner High School was the first school to be located in the City of Kenner. Originally opened for grades K-12, the school was transformed into a junior high school in 1955. The school also served as a cultural gathering place during the annual Mardi Gras season when the Krewe Of Kenner held court in the school’s auditorium. Kenner High School graduated numerous political figures including Mayors, Council members and Parish Presidents.

Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Listed February 7, 2008.

Kenner HS 1


29° 58.483′ N, 90° 15.151′ W

Address: 1601 Rev. Richard Wilson Drive, Kenner, Louisiana

Olivier Plantation House & St. Mary’s Orphanage

Olivier Plantation Historical Marker New Orleans

What is now an empty lot in the Bywater neighborhood of New Orleans used to be a plantation owned by Antoine David Olivier, who was born in Lyon, France in 1759. By the 1800s, he was living in America as a wealthy man. In the 1820s, he began building a lavish, West Indies-influenced, French Creole home near the Mississippi River. The house was part of an extensive plantation complex. In fact, the property was 2 arpents wide and 40 arpents deep. An arpent is an old French unit of land and is equivalent to about 1 acre. Olivier died in 1844, but the home had been sold before then.

In 1833, Etienne Carraby bought the place. It passed through several hands until Albert Piernas sold it right after the Civil War to the Sisters of the Order of the Holy Cross, which converted it into a boy’s orphanage.

During this time, the exterior buildings were torn down, including the kitchen, pigeonniers and stables. It became St. Mary’s Orphan Asylum, and a large dormitory wing was added to the house. The orphanage closed in the 1930s due to Huey P. Long placing most social services under the handling of the State of Louisiana. The building had begun to deteriorate, and it was eventually torn down in 1949.

Yet, there was some controversy to tearing this historical plantation down. A local historian tried to stop the demolition by talking to the contractor right before the bulldozer was set to tear it apart. The contractor and the leaseholders gave the historian a few weeks to try and save the property. He along with a few other interested parties tried everything from attempting to get a company to renovate the property to raising money.

When no plans worked, they instead worked to salvage some of the architecture, and some final pictures were taken. Yet, the simple act of tearing down an old building would create a coalition dedicated to preserving Louisiana historical places.

You can see pictures of the original building on this website. You can also read how the demolition of this plantation led to the creation of the Louisiana Landmarks Foundation in this article.

Olivier Plantation House & St. Mary's Orphanage Historical Marker


One side: Here stood the Olivier House from ca. 1820 to 1949. Built by Paris-born David Olivier, the large Creole-style residence presided over a sugar cane plantation for barely a decade. In 1835 the house became heart of the St. Mary’s Orphan Boys Asylum, eventually the largest such institution in Orleans Parish. In 1854 the Olivier house was surrounded by a brick campus designed by Henry Howard. In 1891 the gothic Chapel of St. Aloysius was added on Chartres Street. The wanton demolition of the house and complex by later owners gave rise to the establishment in 1950 of the Louisiana Landmark Society, a leading preservation organization. An effort to rebuild the residence was launched by Bywater neighbors following Hurricane Katrina.

Other side: Located on this site from ca. 1820 to 1949 stood the original David Olivier creole-style plantation house. It was purchased by The New Orleans Catholic Association for the Relief of Male Orphans in 1840 in order to relocate from Bayou St. John the orphanage founded by Fr. Adam Kindelon, the first pastor of St. Patrick’s Church. Beginning in 1848 the Brothers and Marianites of Holy Cross cared for and educated orphan boys at the later named St. Mary’s Orphan Boys Asylum. In 1853 new brick buildings designed by Henry Howard were built around the house which stood at the center of a large courtyard. For more than 80 years, through the cholera epidemic of 1852, yellow fever epidemic of 1853, the Civil War, WWI and WWI, an estimated 9,000 boys lived here, often more than 300 at a time. St. Mary’s closed in 1933.

In 1949, a group of architects and historians mounted an attempt to save the Olivier plantation house from demolition. While this effort was ultimately unsuccessful, it led to the founding of the Louisiana Landmarks Society in 1950, which continues today to advocate for the preservation of New Orleans’ historic structures and neighborhoods.

Location: 29° 57.619′ N, 90° 2.145′ W

Intersection of Chartres Street and Mazant Street. 4111 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA.