The Belhaven Historic District is located in a hilly area of Jackson, Mississippi. The district includes Belhaven University and the Eudora Welty House. The area is distinct due to its many different architectural styles, including Queen Anne, Greek Revival and Neoclassical Revival. This is why this neighborhood is considered one of the most architecturally diverse areas in the country.
Named after the house of a Confederate veteran of the Civil War, Jones S. Hamilton, the Belhaven Neighborhood is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Jackson. The name Belhaven was given to the home in honor of Hamilton’s ancestral home in Scotland. Before that, in 1875, the area was known as Moody Estate. By the early 1900s, North State Street was considered to be one of the most fashionable places to live with its large homes.
In 1983, the neighborhood was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Historical Marker Inscription
The Belhaven neighborhood developed north of the city as Jackson’s first suburb. Composed of more than 1,300 historic structures dating from as early as 1904, Belhaven is Mississippi’s largest historic district. The neighborhood includes a wide variety of building styles with a mixture of commercial and residential developments, as well as religious and educational institutions.
The Belhaven Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Intersection of Riverside Drive and Peachtree Street, Jackson, MS
32° 19.401′ N, 90° 10.261′ W