During the 1800s, the “castle look” was a popular architectural style in New Orleans. These Gothic references to the Old World were found in Carollton, Harvey, Algiers, Gretna and the Third District. The Harvey Castle was one of the most recognizable versions of this style.
Built on the Destrehan Canal in 1846, it was the home of Louise Destrehan and Captain Joseph Hale Harvey. The Destrehan Canal was owned by Nicholas Noel Destrehan.
According to historical references by a descendant, the castle was “medieval, two turreted baronial castle patterned from a faded old picture of grandfather’s and great uncle’s home in Scotland”.
Later, the Destrehan Canal became the Harvey Canal. The castle was then converted into the Jefferson Parish Courthouse (from 1874 to 1884). In 1920, it was demolished to expand the Harvey Canal when it became part of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway.
Historical Marker Inscription
Built in 1844, Harvey Castle was the Gothic Revival home of Marie Louise Destrehan and her husband Joseph Hale Harvey. It served as the third courthouse of Jefferson Parish, 1874-1884. Located east side of Destrehan Avenue 450 feet north of railroad. Demolished in 1924 to enlarge Harvey Canal and Locks.
3000 4th Street, Harvey LA 70058
29° 54.458′ N, 90° 5.033′ W