St. Joseph Parish in Westwego, located on the West Bank of New Orleans, was established in 1857. It was the main church for Jefferson Parish on this side of the river. The parish grew a few years later due to the dramatic growth of the population of Westwego after the hurricane of 1893. Before land was acquired, mass was often celebrated in residents’ homes.
On February 23, 1905, land was donated by 12 men known as “The 12 Apostles” to the St. Joseph Church in Gretna. The lot was located on Laroussini Street and was 100 feet by 320 feet.
On June 7, 1906, a new chapel known as the Church of Our Lady Prompt Succor was dedicated on the north side of the site. A cemetery was added to the south side of the lot and became known as Cemetery No. 1.
Historical Marker Inscription
The land for this cemetery was part of a parcel sold in 1902 by Alphonse A. Lelong to a group called “The 12 Apostles” of Catholic Life Westwego. They were Hypolite Eloi, Victorin A. Pitre, Ernest Lefort, Andre Curol, Leo Decuers, Adrien Ortiz, Adrien Curol, Victor Arnaudin, J. Dupre Terrebonne, Felicien Sandras, Leodgard Pitre, and Edouward PItre. They donated the land to St. Joseph’s Parish in Gretna for the first chapel and cemetery in Our Lady of Prompt Succor Parish, Westwego. Their heirs donated it to OLPS in 1932.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor & Holy Guardian Angels Catholic Church, 146 Fourth Street, Westwego, LA, 70094