The Shady Grove School was completed in 1953 on six acres of land, which had been donated by Roland and Ida Pompey. The school was created to centralize the education of African American children in the Vernon, Louisiana, and the surrounding communities. The school hosted children in grades first through eighth.
The elementary school was active until 1969 when sections were moved to the newly established Vernon Elementary School. Afterwards, the site was given to the City of Vernon, and it is now a public park named Shady Grove Park.
Historical Marker Inscription
Built 1919 – used as a school until 1928. Bought by community families to be used for cultural and social activities. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places December 2002.
Intersection of State Highway 26 and Don Gray Road, DeRidder, Louisiana
30° 48.254′ N, 93° 10.494′ W.