Adams County, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Adams County, Pennsylvania

Gettysburg – the location of a key battle of the American Civil War – is the county seat of Adams County. The county was founded on January 22, 1800. The Battle of Gettysburg was fought between July 1 – 3, 1863.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county is 522 square miles, and the Borough of Gettysburg is located at the center of the county.

Historical Marker Inscription

Formed January 22, 1800 out of York County. The name honors President John Adams. Important center of fruit growing industry. County seat of Gettysburg, incorporated 1806, was site in 1863 of key Civil War battle and President Abraham Lincoln’s great address.

Location

111 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, PA, 17325 United States

39° 49′ 46.620″ N, 77° 13′ 52.380″

Meridian, Mississippi, Historical Marker

Meridian, Mississippi

Located in Lauderdale County in the East Central Hills of Mississippi, Meridian started in 1831 after the Choctaw Indians left the land as part of the terms of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. The city got its name from a settler who believed that the word “meridian” actually meant “junction” or “zenith”.

Richard McLemore of Virginia was the first to come to area and then offered free land to others to try to get them to move the region. By 1855, railroads had linked Meridian with other areas, and, by the 1860s, there were 15 families living in the town.

Meridian played a role during the Civil War. It was the location of the Confederate arsenal, a stockade for prisoners and a military hospital, and it even was the location of the state capital for a month in 1863. In February 1864, Union General William Tecumseh Sherman destroyed the city. The only surviving antebellum mansion in the area from before this time is Merrehope, a Greek Revival home.

For a period of time during the 1890s until 1930, Meridian was also the largest manufacturer in the state. It was known for timber and cotton production.

Historical Marker Inscription

Meridian, Mississippi, Historical Marker

Formerly Sowashee, it was chartered 1860, and throve as rail junction during the Civil War, serving in 1863 as temporary capital and as depository of the state’s official records.

Location

1805 Front Street Meridian, MS 39301

32° 21′ 52.698″ N, 88° 41′ 44.442″ W

Louisiana: Site of Battle of Jackson Crossroads

If you’re driving into Jackson, Louisiana, you might miss this historical marker. It sits near a light and is nearly tumbling over. But this hidden marker (green with a white picket fence background) marks the spot of a battle of the Civil War. In fact, Civil War reenactors regularly re-enact this battle on a field off Highway 68 near the original battle location.

The Historical Facts

Jackson was actually the location of two Civil War battles during 1863. The Union was trying to siege Port Hudson. This 48-day siege took place from May to July of 1863 when the Union was trying to recapture the Mississippi River so the Confederacy wouldn’t be able to use the river to transport supplies. While the siege failed, the river was eventually taken by the Union after Vicksburg fell.

Benjamin Henry Grierson, whose cavalry took part in the Battle of Jackson Crossroads, was known for the “Grierson’s Raid”, which was an expedition through Confederate holdings that successfully severed enemy communication lines between Vicksburg, Mississippi, and leaders in the East.

Historical Marker Text

“At noon, June 20, 1863, at the crossroads, a long Union wagon train, escorted by 300 cavalry and 500 infantry, from the 52nd. Mass. Vols., the 2nd. Rhode Island, and Grierson’s 7th. Ill. cavalry, was ambushed by a Confederate battalion of La. and Miss. cavalry, the 11th. and 17th. Ark., the 2nd. Ark. cavalry, and Miss. Seven Star Artillery, who captured 50 of the 154 wagons. Casualties were light on both sides.”

Location: 30.8374° N, 91.2176° W

Jackson, LA 70748 East Feliciana Parish. It is located at the intersection of Charter Street (State Highway 10 and Carrs Creek Road (State Highway 68) at the stoplight.